Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Cubicle Chronicles: Debbie Downer On Duty

As you all know, I started a new gig last month.  It was a bit frustrating at first trying to play catch up AND learn, but I'm starting to find my groove.  I work at a children's hospital and the environment is so friendly.  Plus, how can you be upset when you randomly run into someone dressed in a costume to entertain the children?

There are a few people who have been working at my job for 20, 30 years.  It's like a big family and, aside from the interns, it seems I may be the youngest...again.  Within this family, there is a Debbie Downer, with whom I work closely.  She hates her job and has no problem telling people this...even our boss.  O_O

Every time she talks to me she mentions:

  • how she's hated her job since her first day, 4 1/2 years ago;
  • how she's trying to get out;
  • how she can't believe my previous job wasn't better;
  • how I should have done my research
One day, we were in the bathroom together and as I was washing my hands, she goes "So, this place was the only place that replied when you were searching for jobs?"  Like, she was just disgusted that I wanted to work where I'm working.  Look, I just want to wash my hands, ma'am!

I'm at the point where I'm scared to have a convo with her because it'll be full of her complaining and me saying "aaawww" as I try to keep my nonverbal from saying "Please, shut the hell up!"

Cheese and rice!

K to the...

2 comments:

  1. I would want to ask her "So none of the places you've applied to in 4 1/2 years has replied?"

    ReplyDelete

Please remove your shoes and leave them at the door.